300 Hour Hatha Yoga Teacher Training
Since PranaShanti’s inception in 2008, Devinder Kaur, envisioned Ottawa’s first 300-Hour Hatha Yoga Teacher Training Program. Seeing the need for advanced yogic studies in the region, in 2014, Devinder Kaur with Steffi Retzlaff’s support and background in adult higher education began researching approaches for PranaShanti’s newest training program. Following this initial stage, Kathleen Burr, with her expertise in program development, continued the work and formulated the program that we offer today. We are grateful to Steffi and Kathleen for their dedication and contributions to this exceptional program.
PranaShanti Yoga Centre’s 300 Hour Program is a comprehensive course of study that delves deeply into all aspects of Yoga to build on the knowledge and skills developed at the 200-Hour Level. This self-paced modular approach to advanced Yogic education allows you to customize a pathway based on your own unique needs.
Please note: completion of a 200-Hour Hatha Yoga Teacher Training program is a prerequisite to the 300-Hour program. If you have not yet completed a 200-Hour program, PranaShanti offers two per year: a part-time program that begins every fall and a summer intensive from June to August.
We believe that studying with a variety of highly trained teachers increases everyone’s knowledge and depth of experience. Our dedicated and skilled faculty deliver a well-rounded curriculum that enables you to refine your expertise in particular areas of interest due to their areas of specialization. You are welcome to start taking 300 Hour Level courses and formally enroll in the program at any time throughout the year.
Some benefits of formal enrollment in the program: Since PranaShanti is an ESDC Certified Educational Institution, you will receive a tuition tax receipt once a year as long as you are enrolled in the program and actively taking courses; you will also be able to complete the practicum requirements detailed below as a student in the 300-Hour program (these cannot be completed if you are not enrolled); if you complete the program as a formally enrolled student, you will be eligible for 300-Hour Certification.
Please contact our Program Coordinator Stephanie Turple (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions you may have. We are happy to assist you in making an informed decision about your advanced studies.
Yoga Alliance Standards and Certification
- Yoga Alliance® is the largest nonprofit association representing the yoga community. Their mission is to promote and support the integrity and diversity of the teaching of yoga.
- PranaShanti Yoga Centre is a Registered Yoga School (RYS) with Yoga Alliance and Registered Yoga Teachers (RYT) are responsible for delivering the curriculum for this program.
- After successful completion of the 300 Hour Program, you can opt to register with Yoga Alliance at the RYT 500 Level if you completed RYS 200 training and accrued 100 hours of teaching experience upon completion of your 200 Hour program.
- Visit PranaShanti’s Yoga Alliance page.
- The 300 Hour Program consists of the following components:
- 13 Core Modules that you are required to complete. This amounts to 200 contact hours and a total of 255 hours including non-contact hours; and
- A variety of Elective Options that you will choose. This includes a minimum of 70 contact hours and will ultimately amount to 300+ Hours including non-contact hours.
- This program is based on the 5 Educational Categories outlined by Yoga Alliance with a minimum number of designated hours. At least 270 contact hours must be fulfilled. Thus, participants will complete 300+ Hours of study since time is allotted for training breaks in addition to pre- and post-assignments.
- Approximately one Core Module or Elective Option will be offered each month. We intend to offer Core Modules on a yearly basis and Elective Options every second year. New Elective Options will be offered based on the needs and interests of participants.
- The Core Modules and Elective Options can be taken in any order.
- This program is self-initiated. With a completion window of five years, you can choose what courses to take and when. You will be responsible for updating a set of Tracking Sheets to ensure all requirements are met before submitting your whole package for certification.
- Courses may be accompanied by pre- and post-training assignments. All assignments are to be submitted to PranaShanti after completing the requirements for a Core Module or Elective Option. Our Teaching Team will review and provide feedback as needed. Participants will keep copies of all marked documents and then ultimately submit with all materials in the final package.
- The Core Modules and Elective Options are listed below.
Educational Category 1: Techniques, Training and Practice
- Pranayama – Core Module (20 Hours)
- Sanskrit Language – Core Module (10 Hours)
- Mantra – Core Module (10 Hours)
- Meditation – Core Module (25 Hours)
- Sequencing – Core Module (20 Hours)
- Yoga for Everyone and Trauma-Informed Practice – Core Module (20 Hours)
- Restorative Yoga – Elective Option (30 Hours)
- Yin Yoga – Elective Option (30 Hours)
- Gentle Yoga – Elective Option (15 Hours)
- Chair Yoga – Elective Option (15 Hours)
- Next Level Theming: Teaching that Awakens the Heart – Elective Option (20 Hours)
- Yoga Nidra – Elective Option (15 Hours)
- Children’s Yoga and Mindfulness – Elective Option (20 Hours)
- Advanced Restorative Yoga – Elective Option (20 Hours)
Educational Category 2: Teaching Methodology
- Teaching Methodology – Core Module (20 Hours)
- Ethics and Business of Yoga – Core Module (10 Hours)
Educational Category 3: Anatomy and Physiology
- Anatomy, Physiology and Bio-Mechanics – Core Module (20 Hours)
- Yoga of the Subtle Body – Core Module (20 Hours)
Educational Category 4: Yoga Philosophy, Lifestyle and Ethics
- Yogic Philosophy, Lifestyle and Ethics – Core Module (20 Hours)
- Principles of Ayurveda – Core Module (20 Hours)
Educational Category 5: Practicum
- Self Study and Supported Learning – Core Module (40 Hours)
- Community Classes (10+ Hours)
- Teach and attend Community Classes at PranaShanti Yoga Centre under the supervision of a Faculty Member.
- Cohort Classes (10 Hours)
- Participate in Cohort Classes at PranaShanti Yoga Centre held specifically for 300 Hour participants by Lead Trainers.
- Personal Practice (10 Hours)
- Attend a variety of Hatha, Gentle, Restorative, Therapeutic and Yin Yoga classes at PranaShanti Yoga Centre and prepare a written review of your experiences.
- Self Reflection (10 Hours)
- Read assigned books from the Reading List. When you approach the end of your training, complete 3 book reports based on the guidelines provided.
- Mentorship (Optional)
- Schedule one-on-one sessions with 300-Hour Teachers.
- Community Classes (10+ Hours)
Courses are available as “Core” and “Elective” modules varying from small modules of 5 hours up to larger modules of 20 and 30 hours. Because our program is self-paced, you can decide when you would like to take each module. Our Course Listing is published based on the calendar year with courses paused in July and August for summer break.
- All training must be completed at the same Registered Yoga School, PranaShanti Yoga Centre.
- During the program, you will be asked to complete a set of required and recommended readings. Core Modules and Elective Options may also have pre-requisite readings. In additional to all other assignments, a total of 3 book reports need to be submitted with your final package to successfully complete the Program.
- Once all requirements have been successfully completed you will be eligible to receive a 300-Hour Certificate.
- If you miss up to 25 percent / 5 hours of a Core Module or Elective Option in Educational Categories 1-4: you may still complete the course by informing yourself of the material missed and scheduling a private session, at your cost, with the Teacher at PranaShanti Yoga Centre.
- If you miss more than 25 percent / 5 hours of a Core Module or Elective Option in Educational Categories 1-4: you will need to repeat the course.
- Educational Category 5 must be completed in full.
- Depending on the situation, other arrangements may be possible on compassionate grounds.
- The program is self-paced and so is your investment. You pay for courses individually at the time of registration.
- The cost for Core Modules and Elective Options will vary due to the number of hours, number of teachers presenting in the module, early bird savings pricing and other factors.
- While we make every effort to keep courses as affordable as possible and minimize increases, fees will increase as our operating costs increase.
Approximate Costs for Potential Learning Pathway
Figures are based on early bird pricing, as of 2020, and the cost of books for required readings is not included.
Cost for Core Modules: 200 Contact Hours /255 Total Hours of Training
- Total for 13 Core Modules: $4,410 + HST
Cost for Elective Options: 72 Contact Hours / 85 Total Hours of Training
- Restorative Yoga (30 Hours): $440 + HST
- Yin Yoga (30 Hours): $550 + HST
- Body Reading and Hands-on Assists (10 Hours): $225 + HST
- Chair Yoga (15 Hours): $345 + HST
- Total for 4 Elective Options: $1,585 + HST
Investment for Potential Learning Pathway: 272 Contact Hours / 340 Total Hours of Training
- $5,995.00 + HST
Program Pre-Payment Option
SAVE! Pre-pay for your 300 Hour Program in advance for $6,943.85 including HST and Program Administration Fee ($150.00).
Payment plans and other discount offerings are not available with this option. Curriculum must be completed within a maximum of 5 years from date of purchase. No refunds or extensions available.
PranaShanti is an ESDC Certified Educational Institution and can provide tax receipts for qualifying trainings.