Yoga can offer amazing benefits for pregnancy, labour and parenthood; however, there are things that teachers and practitioners need to know!
This interactive course is designed for anyone keen to learn more about Prenatal and Postnatal Yoga, including yoga teachers, fitness instructors, doulas and other health professionals as well as parents to be.
This course will share practices for each stage of the journey from yoga support for conception to partner yoga for pregnancy and labour to yogic recommendations for postpartum recovery to parent/baby yoga poses for bonding. Resources will also be provided to comfort women in the event of pregnancy loss.
- Anatomy and physiology specifically related to Prenatal and Postnatal Yoga. Benefits of Yoga for fertility, pregnancy, labour, postpartum, and parenthood.
- Teaching Yoga classes for this population and adapting any class to meet the needs of prenatal and postnatal women (best practices, things to avoid, modifications, and contraindications).
- Breathwork, postures, meditation, and chanting for pregnancy, labour and the postpartum period.
- Common conditions related to posture, core and pelvic floor issues. Teacher ethics, scope of practice, business considerations, and marketing services in the community.
- Ability to confidently and safely teach yoga classes designed for pregnant and postnatal women.
- Capacity to tailor any style of class or practice for pregnant and postnatal women.
- Understand and address prenatal and postnatal conditions, including practices that can help and things to avoid.
Recommended but not required: Book: “Prepare to Push” by Kim Vopni
In class mini practicum and written lesson plan for both stages.
Dates and Times
Friday, September 15, 2023 to Sunday, September 17, 2023.
- Friday: 6 pm ET – 9 pm ET.
- Saturday and Sunday: 9 am ET – 5 pm ET each day.
This course is open to the general public. 6 months to 1 year of regular yoga practice is recommended for participation.
For 200 Hour certified Yoga Teachers this course provides CEUs with Yoga Alliance.
This course is also part of our Yoga Alliance 300 Hour Hatha Yoga Teacher Training.
300 Hour Program – Elective Module – 20 Hours