Dry brushing the skin is a comparatively new trend, though its roots lie in ancient times. It’s common in Ayurvedic medicine and is an ancient Kriya yoga practice but many cultures, including the ancient Greeks and Japanese, have used skin brushing to cleanse the skin. It’s done at day spas but you can do it yourself too!
It’s called “dry” brushing because you aren’t scrubbing up while you bathe or shower; instead, a firm, bristled brush is swept across the skin, from toe to head. Both the skin and brush are completely dry. Dry brushing has gained traction for a reason. The benefits include:
- Detoxifying the skin – Dry brushing unclogs pores in the exfoliation process. It also helps detoxify your skin by increasing blood circulation and promoting lymph flow/drainage. By unclogging pores, it’s easier for the body to sweat and eliminate toxins in your system.
- Stimulating the nervous system – Dry brushing can stimulate the nervous system. It can also leave you feeling invigorated like a massage often does.
- Giving your skin a more radiant glow – Removing dead skin cells can help make your skin smoother and softer. It can also give your skin a brighter appearance temporarily.
- Gentler on your skin than scrubbing in the shower – Hot water inflames your skin and can strip away oils, fats, and proteins that keep your skin healthy. Brushing your skin while it is dry allows you to exfoliate and increase blood circulation without removing moisture the way the hot water can.
If you’re new to dry brushing here’s some tips:
- Using a natural bristled brush, start from the feet or ankles and work your way upward in long, fluid strokes on limbs.
- Next, move the brush in a circular motion on your torso and back.
- Since this process can be a little too much for sensitive areas like the abdomen, breasts and neck, lighten up the pressure as needed.
- A few overlapping swipes per area is all you need. If you go over the same area for too long, you can cause irritation.
- Dry brush once a day and shower afterwards. After drying off, moisturize the skin.
It’s amazing how the little things we can do for ourselves, can make such a big difference. Each day starts and ends with YOU!
Skin brushes, like the one shown here, are available for sale in the PranaShanti Boutique.