Next Level Theming: Teaching that Awakens the Heart
with Barrie Risman
Friday, August 28 to Sunday, August 30, 2020
Take your teaching to the next level of impact and depth by learning how to share the wisdom teachings of yoga with authenticity and clarity.
Think of the most inspiring and memorable yoga teachers you know. Undoubtedly, they’re teachers who don’t simply share what they “know,” but who convey the essence of yoga through their teaching. Their words carry the power of their own personal and lived connection to yoga, one that goes beyond postural practice.
This the power of contemplative practice and reflective self-inquiry. As we enrich our understanding and experiences in yoga with the awakened teachings of our tradition, we can’t help but be changed and uplifted.
When we connect to the heart of our own practice, our teaching begins to carry the power of our understanding and experience. This is when we’re truly able to touch the hearts of students we serve.
This 20-hour course is designed for teachers who are ready to dive deeper into the vision and teachings of yoga. Out of the fruits of your own contemplative inquiry, you’ll learn how to create and present teaching themes that are down-to-earth and accessible as well as uplifting and inspiring.
Out of your authentic connection to yogic wisdom, you’ll learn how to effectively and naturally inspire students to find greater meaning in their practice on and beyond the mat.
This training, offered with both live and online options, will include templates and processes for incorporating teaching themes into your classes, as well as practical and experiential exercises, and tools for continuing to work with the concepts and methods presented.
- Learn and practice methods for creating clear and effective class themes
- Learne and practice processes for contemplative inquiry into the teachings of yoga (Svadhyaya) and yogic self-inquiry (Atma vichara)
- Reflect on and discuss foundational teachings of yoga and how they apply to postural yoga practice as a basis for creating effective teaching themes including:
- Interconnection with the natural world
- The koshas
- The yamas and niyamas
- Yogic virtues
- Pulsation and balancing pairs of opposites
- Articulate the insights that come from contemplative study and inquiry
- Learn how to lead an effective theme-oriented centering at the beginning of class
- Prepare and practice presenting class themes in their centering
- Learn methods for effectively incorporating yogic wisdom into your teaching and received tools to continue to expand your skills in this regard.
- Support and learn from fellow participants by offering and receiving feedback
- Receive handouts and support materials to supplement your learning
Dates and Timings
August 28-30, 2020
- Friday 6 pm to 9 pm.
- Saturday and Sunday 9 am to 5 pm each day.
Attend in person or via live stream.
Optional Reading: A section of Tantra Illuminated by Christopher Wallis.
Assignment: There will be a written assignment that will include a written reflection and a class plan based on a teaching theme of their choosing.
Cost and Registration
$495.00 per person.
Please review the Course Outline and complete any requirements listed before the start of the course.
This course is open to the general public. 6 months to 1 year of regular yoga practice is recommended for participation.
For 200 Hour certified Yoga Teachers this course provides CEUs with Yoga Alliance. This course is also part of our Yoga Alliance 300 Hour Hatha Yoga Teacher Training.
300 Hour Program Elective Module: 20 Hours
In the event you are unable to attend the course after registration, please refer to our Refund Policy.
About Your Teacher
Barrie Risman is widely regarded as one of Canada’s most highly skilled yoga educators, teacher–trainers and mentors. She is well known for her ability to convey the essence of the awakened teachings of yoga with exceptional clarity, insight, and relevance to students of all levels and from all walks of life.
Barrie teaches with a remarkable combination of rigor and challenge balanced with sensitivity, humor, and compassion. Her events weave together the technical precision of refined alignment-based practice with an ever-present awareness of the great wisdom of yoga philosophy distilled from decades of intensive study and practice.
Teaching for close to 2 decades, Barrie shares the depth of her experience and knowledge to reveal a uniquely accessible, authentic and integrated approach to yoga. She empowers students with tools to deepen their understanding and inspires them to embrace asana as a path for expansive self-discovery and inner growth. <read more>