October 27-29, 2017
SOLD OUT! A waiting list is available.
For ALL Yoga Teachers and Students!
Chair Yoga adapts traditional yoga poses so that they can be done with a chair for support, making yoga more accessible for all people. Our society as a whole is aging, including Ottawa with an expected senior demography of 16% by 2021 – it’s the only age group to increase their percentage of the population! Whether it be low mobility seniors or other persons unable to participate in a standard yoga class due to mobility or disability issues, there’s a large population in the yoga community who could deeply benefit from this practice.
The chair takes the place of the yoga mat, and poses are seated or supported by the chair. You get a warm-up, stretching and strengthening, whether you’re coming off a sports injury, challenged by the physical limits of aging, or have been sitting for too many hours at your desk.
This program will offer you the tools to help you and/or your students build strength, awareness and confidence as well as to increase well-being both physically and mentally. Learn how to work with this ever growing group who can receive so much benefit from the practice of yoga with the assistance of a chair!
The program covers:
- How to teach a 30-60 min chair yoga class
- Teaching a group living with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia.
- Teaching students Multiple Sclerosis and other causes of limited mobility
- Teaching chair yoga for office workers
- Identifying common issues that make a chair necessary
- Setting up the class and how to teach from a chair
- Understanding the anatomy and mental dimensions of aging
- Yoga Philosophy on aging
- Meditation and Mantras
- Storytelling and other ways to share the yogic philosophy
- How to find work as a chair yoga instructor and volunteer opportunities
- Practicum – Students will have the opportunity to practice teaching
Michael Hutkins is a 500hr trained teacher in the Sivananda lineage. He’s taught yoga for 15 years and chair yoga for the past six, making yoga accessible and fun for people of all ages and abilities. He is always amazed at how open seniors are to every aspect of yoga, from the physical to meditation, philosophy and even chanting.
Dates & Times
- Friday, October 27, 2016 – 6:30 pm to 9 pm (Chair Yoga Class experience)
- Saturday, October 29, 2016 – 11:30 am to 5:30 pm
- Sunday, October 30, 2016 – 11:30 am to 5:30 pm
Cost & Registration
$295.00 per person. SAVE $50.00 by registering on or before August 31, 2017 for $245.00 per person.
Fee includes the training, manual and certificate.
Refunds (minus a $150 Administration Fee) are available up to October 11th, 2015. No refunds after the course commences.
Students must have a minimum of one year of experience practicing yoga regularly. Prior certification to teach yoga is not a prerequisite for this course.
For 200 hour certified Yoga Teachers the credits for this training can be applied towards a 500 hour certification and is eligible for CEUs (15 hours) with Yoga Alliance.
Minimum Registration: 15 students
Maximum Registration: 24 students
Hi Mike, thank you again for the wonderful workshop on Saturday. I so appreciated all of the energy, training, insights, handouts you prepared. It was quite obvious the amount of energy, experience and presence you brought to the workshop and I learned so much and feel so refreshed to return to my chair teaching.
In deep gratitude,
Sandy Jones, Certified Yoga Instructor