The Mindful Child – An Interactive Workshop for Adults
February 10, 2018
with Victoria Lynes
“If every 8 year old in the world is taught meditation, we will eliminate
violence from the world within one generation.” – Dalai Lama
Mindful awareness has helped many millions of adults combat and manage stress in their lives. Now, our children need these tools too. Kids are under more pressure in their lives than ever. They live in a “hurry-up” world of busy parents, school pressures, incessant lessons, competitive sports and the ever increasing dominance of hyper-connectedness and “on-line all-the-time culture”. These influences can be very stressful for our kids. The bustling pace of our children’s lives can have a profound effect on their innate joy.
Giving our kids the tools to help them fend off negative thoughts and behaviors, build self-confidence, focus, and treat others and themselves with respect and kindness, is a gift they will have for the rest of their lives.
Mindfulness offer essential life skills that allow kids to remain true to themselves and their true nature. It teaches kids to listen to their heart and know what makes them feel happy, teaching them skills they can use to calm themselves when they are angry and soothe themselves when they are distressed will serve them not only through the turbulent teenage years, but also for later life.
Growing research suggests that teaching children to disconnect and become present through Mindfulness, can help them in the same way it benefits adults, having a profound impact on alleviating depression, anxiety and improving concentration and self-esteem. Mindfulness programs are popping up in schools nationwide, and studies are surfacing that reveal their positive impact on academic performance, stress levels, and emotional maturity.
The tricky part can be figuring out how to get the whole family on board! Or how to present mindfulness to kids in a way they will actually enjoy … and even look forward to?
This workshop is designed for:
- Parents, grandparents, caregivers, teachers and educators, health care professionals, yoga teachers; or
- Anyone who wishes to learn some fundamental ways to bring Mindfulness to the children in their lives!
We will cover:
- The benefits of Mindfulness for children;
- Research and neuroscience that supports it;
- How to share Mindfulness with different age groups (focusing on ages 2 to 12 years);
- How to engage kids and make it fun and meaningful;
- Teaching kids to relax;
- Easy and effective Mindfulness activities to use at home or in the classroom;
- Mindful parenting techniques and building a more compassionate, mindful and conscious family; and
- Reaching out: Ways teach Mindfulness to children in your community.
Date and Time:
- Sunday, February 10th, 2019 from 12 pm to 5 pm.
- Breaks will be provided.
Early Bird Savings! $120.00 per person before December 31, 2018 and SAVE $30.00, $150.00 per person thereafter.
Handouts, materials and resource sheets included.
For 200 hour certified Yoga Teachers the credits for this course are eligible for CEUs with Yoga Alliance.