Teaching Yoga and Mindfulness to Children
Sunday, November 5, 2017
“If every 8 year old in the world is taught meditation, we will eliminate violence from the world within one generation.” – Dalai Lama
Our children live in a hurry-up world of busy parents, school pressures, incessant lessons, competitive sports and the ever increasing dominance of hyper-connectedness and “on-line all-the-time culture”. These influences can be very stressful for our kids! The bustling pace of our children’s lives can have a profound effect on their innate joy.
Growing research suggests that teaching children to disconnect though Yoga and Mindfulness, can help them in the same way it benefits adults, having a profound impact on alleviating depression, anxiety and improving concentration and self-esteem. Kids think better, are kinder humans and show up in the world more connected to their surroundings with these skills!
This fun, interactive, creative and practical workshop is designed for:
- parents, grandparents, caregivers, teachers and educators, health care professionals, yoga teachers
- or anyone who wishes to learn some fundamental ways to bring Yoga and Mindfulness to the children in their lives!
We will cover:
- The benefits of Yoga and Mindfulness for children.
- How to share Yoga and Mindfulness with different age groups (focusing on ages 2 to 12 years).
- Postures, pranayam’s, props, games and activities and ways to deliver them in an engaging, child friendly manner.
- Teaching kids to relax!
- Easy and effective Mindfulness activities to use at home or in the classroom.
- Putting it all together – an opportunity to put together and present a mini class.
- How to bring Yoga and Mindfulness for children into the community – so many opportunities!
Date and Time
Sunday, November 5, 2017 from 9 am to 5 pm
Breaks will be provided
Early Bird Savings: Register before September 30, 2017 for $165.00 per person, $195.00 per person thereafter.
Handouts and resource sheet included.
This is an interactive and experiential workshop. Dress in yoga attire or comfortable clothes that you can move in easily. There will be opportunities to practice techniques for teaching children.
About Your Teacher
Victoria Lynes (Atmabir Kaur) is a certified Kundalini Yoga Teacher, Radiant Child Yoga Teacher and had been sharing Yoga and Mindfulness with children for almost 10 years. She offers ongoing children’s classes, workshops and summer camps at PranaShanti Yoga Centre.
During the last 5 years, Victoria has developed and delivered Yoga and Mindfulness programs for several of Ottawa’s public and private schools. Her approach is engaging, fun and creative and it is her goal to see Yoga and Mindfulness programs integrated into all school curriculum as a way for children to better understand themselves, manage anxiety and stress and live happier, more balanced lives.
Victoria has trained and is influenced by colleagues such as Mindful Schools, Yoga in My School, Little Flower Yoga and Radiant Child and develops and delivers Yoga and Mindfulness programs in schools.