Instructing with Therapy Balls
with Jenna Switzer
September 17 to October 8, 2019
Learn to integrate therapy balls into your teaching. Therapy balls stimulate trigger points in the muscles and release tension in stressed areas. They are becoming increasingly popular as an additional prop, tool and technique in classes and with one-on-one clients because they:
- are an effective self-exercise aid that can strengthen muscles, open joints, increase spinal flexibility and stimulate blood flow;
- increase neuromuscular connections;
- come in a variety of sizes and degrees of firmness to penetrate specific areas of the body;
- are recommended for anyone who suffers pain and stiffness from tension, working at a computer, driving, or participating in fitness training or sports;
- can be integrated into a variety of styles of movement classes.
In this course you will learn:
- how to teach self massage or self-myofascial release using therapy balls as a tool and technique in any teaching or personal training setting;
- how to sequence a self massage session or class including routines for: shoulders, hips, core and full body massage; various techniques for tissue mobilization; and
- how to modify for injuries and common conditions.
Massage with the therapy balls helps to relieve pain and mobilize “stuck” areas in the body, while also creating mental and physiological down-regulation and increasing body and spatial awareness. Help students and clients put the power of massage and healing into their own hands. Students and clients will experience immediate results that empower them in their movement practice and daily lives.
We’ll learn the basic techniques of therapy ball massage, review methods to massage and stimulate muscles of the shoulders and upper body, as well as review basic anatomy. Q & A time.
Review therapy ball techniques, discuss further methods to stimulate tissues and increase neuromuscular connections, learn tips to massage the hips and lower body, as well as continue to review anatomy. Q & A time.
Review previous techniques, explore massage methods for abdominals, psoas, low back, and other areas of the core. Discuss up-regulating and down-regulating the nervous system through therapy ball work. Q & A time.
Students will be offered an opportunity to create their own mini sequence with the therapy balls and offer it to the group in a way that best aligns with their teaching or training needs. Discussion and feedback will follow.
Dates and Timings
- 4 weekly evening sessions
- Tuesdays, September 17 to October 8, 2019
- 6 pm to 8 pm each evening
Cost and Registration
$175.00 per person before July 31, 2019. $225.00 per person thereafter.
In the event you are unable to attend the course after registration, please refer to our Refund Policy.
For 200 hour trained Yoga Teachers, this course is eligible for CEUs with Yoga Alliance.
About Your Teacher
Jenna’s passion for yoga and movement of the human body is manifested in each anatomically focused yoga class. From Yoga Tune Up® to Hot Flow, each class encourages students to experience movement in a mindful way. Her classes are both powerful and explore connecting the breath to the flow of the body.
Jenna’s mentors include Todd Lavictoire, Megan Campbell and Jenn Stow from her foundational Yoga Teacher Training. She quickly built upon her education with her Yoga Tune Up® Level 1 certification and several YTU immersions. Jenna’s had the privilege of assisting five YTT’s in Ottawa and travels across North American to learn, assist and volunteer at various Yoga Teacher Trainings and Yoga Tune Up® classes, workshops and conferences.