Mindfulness Meditation Teacher Training with Michael Stone
February 22 to 26, 2018 & April 5 to 9, 2018
Have you studied mindfulness or meditation and want to go deeper? Are you a yoga teacher, psychologist, nurse,
educator or in the caring professions and want to facilitate meditation at work?
Do you want to learn the deeper roots of contemplative practice?
This Meditation Teacher Training is a 72 hour training for delivering mindfulness meditation practices to others, including a variety of different populations, in small groups and one on one. The course consists of two, 5-day intensives, between which you will participate in online learning.
The course will integrate the traditional maps of meditation in the Buddhist and yoga traditions with the insights of Western psychology and neuroscience. The aim is to prepare participants to teach meditation by combining deep personal understanding, a contemporary language for describing what happens in meditation, and the essential skills for facilitation.
Each day Michael will teach a technique, you will learn to practice it, and Michael will then explain the theory and psychology of that particular practice (for example: Is this good for anxiety? Why Is this a contraindication? Is breathing with pain a good idea? When? Should I teach this the same to groups as I would one on one?)
Michael writes: “My academic training is in psychology, my meditative training is monastic, I’m an independent scholar, and I’m also a father and someone who cares deeply about healing in communities, I teach using multiple lenses, rooted in tradition but alive and adaptable to what’s needed in contemporary times, especially in reaching different populations. From the technology issues that create distraction in teens or people suffering from depression, emotional instability, and pain – each groups needs a different approach and it’s precisely this blending of approaches that makes this course unique, personal, and practical.”
Combining in-person training sessions with on-line peer-based learning, this training with Michael Stone and guest faculty is an opportunity to deepen your understanding of meditation practice and learn how to deliver mindfulness meditation with skill.
Dates and Timings
Two 5-day classroom sessions
February 22 to 26, 2018 & April 5 to 9, 2018
9 am – 5 pm each day
This training comprises:
- two 5-day non-residential courses in Ottawa, Ontario in a well equipped studio in a great neighborhood!
- Peer-based learning: you will be partnered with other students in the course for feedback and co-study, creating a community learning environment. These in-person or Skype-based sessions will last for 50 minutes and will take place between the 2 in-person intensives. These sessions end with an essay.
- Continued support after graduating.
To complete the training you will also need to:
- complete one personal essay, 3 pages in length, due at end of program in order to receive certificate.
- undertake practice teaching assessed by Michael and guest faculty during the in-person intensives
- maintain a 30 minute (minimum) daily meditation practice
- 40 minutes of home study per evening (during intensives).
While not a requirement, participants are in addition encouraged to participate in one silent retreat with Michael (annual retreats offered in France, British Columbia, or upstate New York) .
The mindfulness teacher training curriculum includes understanding the transformational principles underlying meditation, exploring the interface of meditation with western psychology and neuroscience, developing teaching skills, and receiving guidance on how to establish classes and workshops.
Additional benefits of taking the course include the study of traditional and contemporary texts, joining a community of like-minded practitioners for reciprocal learning and curriculum building and embodying your own mindfulness practice into your daily life.
1. Foundations of Practice and Theory
- Embody your practice of meditation, learn to stabilise your mind, and cultivate concentration and equanimity.
- Learn the 4 Foundations of Mindfulness and how they interact with different people.
- Understand the psychological and philosophical teachings from Vipassana, Yoga Sutra, and Zen traditions that inform meditative practices and maps of the mind.
- Combine theory and practice to develop your understanding and learn to teach using role play and best group facilitation practices.
- Ethical Foundations of meditation practice
2. Applications, including Therapeutic Applications
- Receive coaching on teaching mindfulness to a variety of different populations, both as small groups and one on one.
- Skill building in offering meditation for anxiety, depression, ADHD, substance misuse, and other common symptoms.
- Obtain the tools for starting your own mindfulness program in a variety of settings
9 am – 10 am – Meditation and Group Discussion
10 am – 11 am – Lecture and Skill Building
11 am – 12 pm – Practice Teaching and Role Play
12 pm to – 1:30 pm – Lunch
1:30 pm – 2:15 pm – Sitting and Walking Meditation
2:15 pm – 3:45 pm – Lecture and Skill Building
4 pm – 5 pm – Mindful Movement Practices
Your Teacher – Michael Stone
Michael Stone is often described as a cross between a spiritual teacher and public intellectual. His ability to integrate traditional contemplative teachings from his studies in Yoga, Zen and Vipassana, with the insights of Western psychology, gives him a unique voice for a new generation of students integrating mindfulness with the demands of their busy lives. He is the author of numerous books and his podcasts enjoy an enormous following. He lives in British Columbia with his family. michaelstoneteaching.com
Upon completion of all parts of the training you will receive a Certificate of Completion from PranaShanti Yoga Centre & Michael Stone.
For Yoga Alliance certified teachers the credits of the course can be applied towards the 500 hour certification, and is eligible for 73 hours CEU with Yoga Alliance. Continuing Education Units are required to maintain your status as a Registered Yoga Teacher.
Who should attend?
This training is designed for:
- Physicians and Physician Assistants
- Nurses and Nurse Practitioners
- Social Workers (CE’s available)
- Psychiatrists, Psychologists
- School teachers and administrators
- Pastoral Counselors
- Veteran Healthcare Providers
- Yoga Therapists (CEU’s available)
- Massage Therapists and other Body Workers
- Occupational Therapists
- Complementary & Integrative Medicine Professionals
- Other Allied Health Professionals
- Individuals wishing to deepen their practice of meditation
Cost and Registration
SAVE with Early Bird Pricing by paying in full before November 30, 2017 for $2,095.00 + HST.
$2,500.00 + HST per person thereafter.
Refunds (minus a $300 Administration Fee) are available up to 5 days before the starting date. No refunds or credits will be provided after the course has started.