Art of Yoga: Principles for Skillful Sequencing
with Brian James
Friday, September 13 to Sunday, September 15, 2019
Learn and Apply the Fundamentals of Sequencing
This course will cover the fundamentals of vinyasa krama (appropriate sequencing) as taught by Sri T. Krishnamacharya and his students, based on his core teaching that yoga is to be adapted to an individual’s needs and goals with respect to their age, health, cultural background and other factors. Through this course, students will learn the key principles that will empower them to design safe, effective and enjoyable vinyasa classes and adapt and improvise to accommodate for the individual needs of their students. A full spectrum of practices will be covered including asana, pranayama, mantra and meditation.
Throughout the course we’ll cover:
- The core principles of practice as taught by Krishnamacharya, including instruction on appropriate breathing, dynamic and static asana, and application of bandha.
- The principles of vinyasa krama in sequencing for general classes and progressing a student safely toward a particular goal.
- The art of viniyoga, understanding how to adapt key postures to accommodate for special needs.
- The yoga of sound: key mantras to open and close class; therapeutic use of sound; and what to do when you can’t chant OM.
- The use of stick figures to design and share sequences.
- Understand the fundamentals of vinyasa krama (appropriate sequencing).
- Understand the fundamentals of viniyoga (adapting to the individual).
- Understand key classical models as a guide to constructing a class (ashtanga yoga, panchamaya koshas).
Dates and Timings
- Friday 6 pm to 9 pm.
- Saturday and Sunday 11:30 am to 6 pm each day.
Cost and Registration
$325.00 per person.
This course is open to the general public. 6 months to 1 year of regular yoga practice is recommended for participation.
Please consult the Course Outline and complete the required readings listed before the start of the course.
300 Hour Program Core Module: 20 Hours
In the event you are unable to attend the course after registration, please refer to our Refund Policy.
About Your Teacher
Brian James is a yoga teacher, musician, shamanic practitioner and transformational coach. He’s been exploring the medicine paths of yoga, music, psychology and shamanism for over twenty years.
His approach is rooted in the belief that yoga and other shamanic practices are not about striving toward a physical or spiritual ideal, but rather, they involve a deeply personal process of embodied awakening to one’s own truth and potential — simply, a return to the natural state of ease and flow.
Brian’s mission is to serve as a helpful friend and guide to others who are walking their own medicine path, sharing what he’s learned on his own healing journey and offering compassionate, non-judgmental support and counsel when needed.
Brian has travelled all over the world to study with master teachers in yoga, music and shamanism. He has extensive training in the therapeutic yoga tradition of Krishnamacharya/Desikachar, the counselling approaches of Hakomi and Body-Mind-Spirit Coaching, and is currently enrolled in the first Compassionate Inquiry certification program with renowned trauma and addiction specialist Gabor Maté. Since 2011, he has participated in dozens of plant medicine ceremonies in the Santo Daime, Shipibo and Ashaninkan traditions.