Sometimes I’m asked by students, “why should someone do Yoga Teacher Training?” Here are some ideas to consider:
1. Yoga is about angles and triangles: If you want to understand the how’s and why’s of doing yoga postures well and safely, a teacher training is a great way to learn.
2. Test your physical limits: No matter your physical ability, you’ll explore your physical capabilities and try things you never thought you could do before. How empowering!
3. Yoga is more than just postures: While postures are a key component to the study of yoga, there is so much more. There is the history and lineage of yoga, yogic philosophy, western and yogic anatomy, sound/mantra, yogic diet and lifestyle, to name just a few.
4. Look inside yourself: Regardless of which style of training you choose, there is something to be said for focusing on your practice for a period of time. Through this focused attention, you may find feelings and emotions bubble up to the surface that you’ve buried for years. Trainings allow you to clear the past so you can feel more free.
5. Speak from your heart: In training you will practice public speaking and leading a group of people while remaining neutral and grounded in your own body. This will support you in your work and in your personal relationships.
Yoga Teacher Training is more than becoming a Yoga Teacher. You will learn a lot about yoga, your practice will definitely improve, but you may also find a part of you that had been lost or forgotten and that’s a great result.
Here’s what some of our teachers and graduates have to say about Teacher Training at PranaShanti Yoga Centre.