World Spine Care
World Spine Care (WSC) is a multinational not-for-profit, charitable organization founded in 2008 by Scott Haldeman MD, PhD, DC, a leading figure in the assessment and treatment of spinal conditions.
It was launched to fill the profound gap in the evidence-based treatment of musculoskeletal and especially spinal conditions found in underserviced areas around the world.
PranaShanti Yoga Centre is a proud and dedicated supporter of WSC and offers multiple donation based events every year to raise funds for this organisation.
The Royal Ottawa Foundation for Mental Health
The Royal Ottawa Foundation for Mental Health raises funds to support the best possible patient care and leading edge research provided by the Royal Ottawa Mental Health Centre, the Brockville Mental Health Centre, and the uOttawa Institute of Mental Health Research.
The Foundation’s funds are used to purchase Hospital equipment for capital projects, to support research, and to contribute to the improvement of patient care, now and for the future.
University of Ottawa Heart Institute
Heart Wise Exercise Program
The University of Ottawa Heart Institute has partnered with PranaShanti Yoga Centre to develop safe and appropriate exercise programs for people who have heart disease.
Exercising after a heart attack is one of the best ways to help you get back to health. In consultation with the Heart Wise Exercise Program a variety of Yoga classes at PranaShanti Yoga Centre have been identified as safe and suitable for people who are interested in or concerned about their heart health. These classes have been designated as meeting the conditions for safety and suitability for heart patients. PranaShanti Yoga Centre welcomes and encourages people with heart disease to exercise, provided they have approval from their doctor.
The HeartWise Exercise Program at PranaShanti:
- Encourages regular, daily aerobic exercise
- Encourages warm up, cool down and self-monitoring with all exercise sessions
- Allows participants to exercise at a safe level, and has progressive options to increase intensity if appropriate
- Accepts participants with a known history of cardiac disease – provided they have physician approval
- Provides health screening for all participants
- Has an emergency plan that is documented and known to all exercise leaders, including the requirement of current CPR certification, phone access to EMS and presence of an AED
The following Yoga Classes have been identified to the Heart Institute as “Heart Healthy” because they meet the requirements for providing a moderate level of exercise.
- Hatha Yoga
- Therapeutic Yoga
- Restorative Yoga
- Somatic Yoga
View our Class Schedule.